Steamed Sweet Rice Cake (甜粿 - tiᶰ-kóe)
- 1 pound Sweet Rice Flour
- We like Koda Farms which can be found in some supermarkets in the Asian section
- Asian supermarkets will have a green bag labeled glutenous rice flour (which contrary to the name has no gluten)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Mix boiling and cold water together in a bowl
- Add sugar to the water and stir until fully dissolved
- Pour rice flour into a separate bowl
- Blend sugar water and vanilla into the flour until smooth
- Grease a container (adding parchment paper to the bottom is helpful) and pour mixture into the vessel
- Steam in the contraption of your choice. We used the Tatung steamer found is just about every Taiwanese house.
- While the cake steams toast the sesame seeds until golden brown
- The cake may take an hour to steam. Remember to refill the outer water bath as it’ll likely dry out before cooking is completed.
- Cake is ready when a toothpick comes out clean. Their might be small water spots on the top surface, this is normal.
- While the cake is warm sprinkle sesame seeds over the top and press into the surface. Allow to cool then remove. Or if you’re impatient use a knife to separate the cake from the sides of the container.
- Slice into pieces and enjoy!