Almond Cookie Recipe (杏仁餅乾)
ACT hosted a Almond Cookie class taught by with Mr. Chiu and a great time was had by all attendees. Pictures from the event are interspersed between the usual recipe steps. If you're in the Seattle-area we hope to see you at our next class!
- 600g (100%*) Cake flour
- 60g (10%) Milk powder
- 420g (70%) Light brown sugar
- 360g (60%) Unsalted butter or pork fat
- 12g (2%) Salt
- 18g (3%) Ammonium carbonate (picture)
- 6g (1%) Baking powder
- 6g (1%) Baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Almond extract
- 1 egg
- Sliced almonds
- Baking sheets
- Mixing bowls
- Stand mixer
*Bakers’ percentages allow you to easily scale the recipe up and down
The scale is important! Accurate measurements are best done by weight and not by volume.
Preparing the Dough
– Sift and combine the cake flour and milk powder in a bowl. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, and set aside.
– Combine sugar, butter, and salt in the mixer and beat at medium speed until combined
– Beat egg together with the ammonium carbonate and add to the mixing bowl. Mix on low until combined.
– Add dry ingredients and continue mixing
– Add almond extract and mix until all ingredients are well combined
– Roll out dough and cut into 20 gram pieces
– Roll each piece into a ball and place 15 per baking sheet and insert four almond slides vertically
– Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Allow cookies to cool then begin chomping.